Magliano in Toscana is a town of 3,753 inhabitants in the province of Grosseto accessible from our hotel in about twenty minutes by car.
The municipal area, where many of Etruscan settlements, also includes the features and location of Pereta Montiano of medieval origins and the Monastery of San Bruttium. Very characteristic is the historical center, surrounded by an extensive city walls built between the late Middle Ages and the Renaissance period.
The area around the center of Magliano in Toscana has brought to light a number of Etruscan archaeological sites, among which the necropolis of Heba; during Roman rule, were used pre-existing settlements of Etruscan origin. V-IV century BC Climb the Magliano disk, found at the archaeological locality in the late nineteenth century and now preserved in the Archaeological Museum of Florence, which was crucial for the coding of the ancient Etruscan language.
The Middle Ages saw the rise to power of the Aldobrandeschis, who began to control several towns in the province of Grosseto, including Magliano in Tuscany, at the time of the division of territories occurred in 1274, became part of the County of Santa Fiora. Until the fourteenth century, the village was a domain Aldobrandesco, was fortified with the construction of the original walls.
After the domination Aldobrandesca, the center passed into the hands of Siena in the fourteenth century, thus being incorporated into the territory of the Republic of Siena. During the Renaissance, the Sienese held renovation and expansion characteristics walls of Magliano in Toscana, which have earned the walls most of the current appearance.
Around the town of Magliano in Toscana and its environs include the following areas of archaeological interest:
Necropolis of Saxon, near the town of Magliano in Toscana.
Necropolis of Cancellone, in Sant’Andrea, along the local road to Colle Wolf.
Necropolis of Santa Maria in Water Bottle, at Santa Maria in Water Bottle, along the local road to Colle Wolf.
Tomb of Ficaie, in Sant’Andrea.
Tomb of St. Andrew, in Sant’Andrea.
The archaeological areas visited are those of the Etruscan necropolis of Santa Maria in the Bottle and Cancellone. The set of Etruscan necropolis around Magliano in Toscana were costuite between the seventh and sixth centuries BC
Maiano Lavacchio, a small rural town made up of a cluster of houses and a chapel for the celebration of religious functions. The place is known for the tragic massacre which was committed in the vicinity March 22, 1944, known as the massacre of Majano Lavacchio.
Montiano, medieval manor located approximately 10 kilometers north-west of Magliano in Toscana, on the summit of a hill surrounded by walls, in various traits incorporated in the exterior walls of buildings.
Pereta, medieval village located about 10 kilometers north-east of Magliano in Tuscany, along the road that leads to Scansano. Retains some features of the double wall, a fine port, the city tower and two churches of medieval origin.
Andrew, a small rural settlement that is home to an Etruscan tomb cut into the limestone. Near the village is the Monastery of San Bruttium.